Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Mom, Part II: Thank You, God, for Helping Me Say Goodbye



[Mom and Dad, with brother, Neil, 1942]
       
After each of my parents died, if I had to use only one word to describe my feelings, it would be guilt about my Father [Posts 8/12/15 and 8/25/15], and anger at my Mother [9/11/15].  As I wrote in those posts, it took years for me to deal with and be healed of those emotions, because first they had to be brought from the unconscious to consciousness.

However, sometimes there is a shortcut, one that is spiritual rather than psychological.  It is provided by God’s Spirit.

I believe God tries to bring us healing by using dreams and increasing consciousness (which can come through prayerful reflection and/or the insights of others) to move us toward greater wholeness.  However, sometimes God's Spirit moves us toward healing even when we are still operating mainly unconsciously. This happened with my Mother, long before I fully understood the reasons for my anger at her, or the guilt I felt about avoiding being with my Father in the last weeks of his life as he was dying.  Part of that guilt was not only because I was not with Dad when he died, but because I also felt like I had not adequately said goodbye to him.

Mom was diagnosed with cancer about a year and a half after Dad died, when I was 16 and my younger brother, Alan, 14.  She was treated for awhile at the hospital in our little home town of Maddock, North Dakota.  But eventually she had to be moved to St. Luke’s Hospital in Fargo, which is 200 miles from Maddock.  My older brother, Neil, took leave from his work and stayed in a hotel near the hospital.  Various folks from Maddock would give  Alan and me rides to Fargo so we could visit Mom.

Eventually Neil called us to say Mom was nearing death.  This time it was our pastor, Elmo Anderson, who took us to Fargo.  Mom was so weak by then that we all had to wear gowns and masks when we went in to see her.

One of the things I have noticed over my many years of making visits to hospitals is that when folks are anxious and fearful, they tend to jabber.  A person can be dying right before their eyes, and folks will talk about the weather and whether the Twins won the baseball game last night.  That is why I take the family outside of the hospital room and instruct them:  I suggest that each of you go into the room alone, and talk to your father, mother, etc. alone.  Do two things.  Ask for forgiveness for anything that bothers you, and then tell them how much you appreciate their love and how much you love them.

Back to my Mother.  I stood off to the side, focused strictly on her.  I have no idea what everyone else was talking about, but I noticed she kept trying to raise her arm, which she could barely do, as weak as she was.  I could not figure out what she wanted or was trying to say. Finally I noticed that the sun was shining directly into her eyes.  I said, “Mom, do you want me to pull the window shade down?”  She smiled, and I went ahead and pulled it down.

Finally Pastor Elmo took out his bible and led us in a devotion and prayer.  Then everyone, including me, left the room.  As we entered the hallway and everyone began to take off their gowns and masks, I left mine on, told everyone to go on ahead, and explained that I would be along shortly.

I went back into Mom’s room and this time went right up to her bed.
She looked at me with such love, and the tears began to well up in my eyes.  “Mom,” I said, “I’m sorry I have to wear this mask because I really want to kiss you.  But I want you to know how much I love you and how much I appreciate all the things you have done for me.”

“Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words.”  [Romans 8:26]

No comments:

Post a Comment